Saturday, December 8, 2012

“What I Want For Christmas”



Meditation for the 2nd Sunday in Advent
Luke 3:1-6
***
     “In the 15th year of the reign of Emperor Tiberius, when Pontius Pilate was governor of Judea, and Herod was ruler of Galilee, and his brother Philip was ruler of the region of Ituraea and Trachonitis, and Lysanias was ruler of Abilene, during the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas, the word of God came to John, son of Zechariah, in the wilderness. He went into all the region around the Jordan, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins, as it is written in the book of the words of the prophet Isaiah, “The voice of one crying out in the wilderness: ‘Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be made low, and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough ways made smooth; and all flesh shall see the salvation of God.’”  (Luke 3:1-6)
***
       It’s that time of year again. When children write letters to Santa and hope they will get what they really want for Christmas.
       I received an email from my son Jacob a couple of days ago—the one who is in college at Mankato.  The subject line said “regarding Christmas.”  I opened it up expecting to hear about his plans for the Christmas break.  Instead, he wrote:

   “I found something that would make a perfect christmas gift because it is affordable and a book I have wanted for a few months now.”

     Jacob asked for Democracy: The God that Failed: The Economics and Politics of Monarchy, Democracy, and Natural Order.”  He also asked for an mp3 player.

    I laughed and began looking up the book on Amazon to order it for him. Of course I want him to keep reading, even if it is a book in which I personally have no interest. The mp3 player is something I will leave to Jim. I smiled as I remembered why and when Jacob starting giving us his Christmas list.  One time Santa goofed up and brought him clothes –instead of what he really wanted—video games.

    As I was ordering his book, Jacob sent me another email to further persuade me.  It began, “edit: I'm asking for a new mp3 player because the one jim gave me back when my zune died is not working right anymore ….”  His message ended with: “Also I cannot wait to go back home and see my loving family again.” This made me giggle, because Jacob doesn’t usually talk that way.  Still, it brought about the desired response. He would get what he wanted.

     But you know, I can sympathize with Jacob. When I was little, I had my heart set on a particular gift and Santa didn’t come through. I wanted a Suzy Homemaker Easy Bake Oven.   You know, the kind that you can make tiny cakes with the heat of a light bulb. I wrote letters telling Santa every year for at least 3 years.  And every year, I got something else other than the Easy Bake Oven.
    Now I am sure my parents had their reasons.  My dad probably worried that I would hurt myself. That light bulb did get hot! Sure enough, there was a recall later because kids were burning themselves and some even lost a finger when it got caught in the little oven door. And Dad probably thought I would make a mess. I probably would have.  But I would have cleaned it up.
    My mom was likely more concerned about price. I don’t know how much it was back then, but I am sure it was more than they wanted to spend. And why did I need a toy oven when we had a real oven?  So at 4 years old, my mom showed me how to make brownies from a mix, preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and slide the 9 by 13 metal pan onto the hot racks without burning myself. 
    When I share my story of deprivation with my husband, he has little sympathy.  Jim, who grew up in a small apartment in New York City, wanted a horse. And for some strange reason, Santa did not bring him what he wanted, either.  He had it all planned.  He was going to keep it in his older sister’s room—tied to the radiator. 
    Looking back, it is pretty funny thinking about the gifts we wanted so badly and never got.  I grew up to be anything but a Suzy Homemaker. And Jim, though he still likes horses, prefers reading to being in the outdoors. 
    As we matured in the faith, we came to understand that God isn’t Santa Claus.  He doesn’t need our list of what we want.  He already knows what’s on our minds and in our hearts.  And He knows our greatest need. Forgiveness and reconciliation with Him. He knows the future—and what will happen if we don’t accept Jesus and choose, instead, to live in darkness for all eternity separated from Him.
   Some people will reject our Lord because He isn’t Santa. They want a God who gives them everything they want.  They reject a God that requires repentance and turning away from sin, who calls us to obedience to Him. And they really don’t want a God who uses trials and pain in our lives to shape us into the people He wants us to be, that He can use for His purposes.
    But that’s who God is.  And that’s what He does. Why? Because He loves us! He wants what’s best for us. And desires all to be saved.
    Our reading in Luke reaffirms to us the real meaning of Christmas.  Of course it isn’t about mp3 players, Easy Bake Ovens, or any other gift we might find underneath the Christmas tree.  It isn’t even about the gifts we give to others to show our love.
    Christmas is about believing and receiving God’s love. God revealed His love through His merciful gift of His Son.  Through Christ, we are healed and made whole.  We have everlasting life with Him. God’s gift is meant for all human beings—for all flesh, as Luke quotes Isaiah.
     Our Emmanuel is God with us, God who so loves us that He came down to us.  Became one of us.  Died for us on a cross. To take away our sins. And show us the way back to Him.
     So listen now, once more, to the gospel of Luke with your heart open to the true meaning of Christmas.  Open your eyes and see God’s love for you in His merciful gift. Hear now the words of John, the one sent before Christ, “the voice of one crying out in the wilderness: ‘Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be made low, and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough ways made smooth; and all flesh shall see the salvation of God.’” 

Let us pray.
Merciful God, you have loved us since the beginning, despite our fall into sin in the Garden of Eden.  Yet we don’t always want to accept and receive Your love because it means admitting our own weakness and need for Your forgiveness. You love us so much that you were willing to allow your own Son to suffer and die for our sakes.  Forgive us when we have forgotten the real meaning of Christmas and want so many things that aren’t even good for us.  Forgive us when we have been lazy or fearful and failed to declare Your love and salvation to the world.  Stir us to compassion for those who walk in darkness. Prepare our hearts and give us patience as we await our Savior’s return. Empower us to do Your Will, to love as you love.  In Christ we pray.  Amen.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment